Online psychology therapy isn’t something new, it has been out in the mental health panorama for a really long time now. But why do we still feel uncomfortable with the idea of seeing a therapist through the laptop’s screen? The answer is simple: because we are not used to it.
If there’s one common thing we all humans have is fear of the unknown. And it is completely understandable. However, it has been proven that online therapy is as effective as face to face sessions. All you need to do is give the experience a chance and go back to the old fashion version of it if it’s not for you.
For many of us, the past year and a half has been one of the most challenging experiences ever. We have dealt with fear, uncertainty and social isolation. This traumatic situation has resulted in anxiety, depression, phobias, distress and life changing circumstances. And, believe it or not, we don’t always have the tools or psychological resources to go through tough times on our own. We do need advice, assistance or guidance every now and then. We do it, even though it ‘s hard to recognise it sometimes. This is where mental health professionals come to place, and also, where online therapy has become more and more popular.
But why has it become so popular? What is so good about it? Well, let me list the main reasons why everyone should give it a go:
- It helps sweep all the geography hurdles one might have; such as not having a means of transportation or being quite far from the clinic.
- With online therapy, time isn’t an issue anymore. You basically need to book an hour in your calendar and switch on your laptop, phone or tablet (which takes literally less than a minute).
- Worried about bumping into a nosey neighbour in the clinic’s waiting area? For many, online therapy offers a comforting sense of privacy.
- The feel of safety and comfort of being at home while doing therapy allows the conversation to flow even more, as being in a familiar place helps the person to relax and take out more from the session.
- And very important… you can wear comfortable pyjama bottoms since… nobody will tell!
In conclusion, there is absolutely nothing we do in therapy sessions that cannot be done online. We really recommend you giving it a try and see how it feels, and then build your own opinion on it.
At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter if you start your personal journey in your therapist’s consultation room or behind a computer screen, by putting in the legwork you’re taking the first step to becoming a healthier, happier you.
See you soon on the other side of the screen,